Tsalagi hellbilly

Tsalagi hellbilly

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Review of Songs Of Dusk A Collection Of Poems By Niladri Mitra

Songs Of Dusk
A Collection Of Poems
By Niladri Mitra
REVIEW

The book doesn't have a central theme, but all are connected by "three elements of ourselves." The three are Heart, Mind, and Spirit.

HEART
As I read each poem, I could hear rock ballads play in my mind. All of these poems in this section flowed well, and love's melody was as sweet as a bird's morning song. Behind the gentle sounds was a sense of heartbreak and pain. "Old Friend," especially touched my heart in a personal way. 
"Heart" is an appropriate summation of this section of the book. It gave me a sense of the author's heart. For me, these poems are "expressions" of Niladri Mitra's heart.
Some of these poems have an almost rhythmic tone and pace. One especially is "Tears Don't Last." I thoroughly enjoyed that one.
Word choice was well thought out. They were not overly sophisticated; but delightful in their simplicity. Also, metaphors are sparse. The author chose a more direct approach. I found the strategy acceptable. Niladri's choice of being direct made each one easy to understand.

MIND
The opening lines under this section:
"Born In Darkness

Born into darkness
Fostered by pain
Broken by love
Again and again
Tears of acid."

I found these words gripping. We think of our natural birth as coming out of the darkness and into the light. However, this ominous tone sets the mood for this section. Salty tears express our pain. Sometimes it hurts to cry. The visual of these expressions of sorrow cutting into our flesh (mortality) is profound.
This section used more metaphors and similes to paint pictures within the gallery of our minds.
The theme of pain, suffering, and loss carries throughout.

"A broken heart hurts more than a broken bone."

Emotional pain can leave invisible scars and wounds that never heal. Also, in this section, we are confronted with existential questions that challenge us to introspection.

SPIRIT
"I hear a whisper as I go to sleep at night
Someone tells me to carry on, urges me to fight."

It is accurate in our times of rest we cannot because of our will overpowering the times of rest.
Most of us find; A troubled spirit finds no bed to slumber. A notion the author once again delivers. I enjoy the bearing of one's soul and finding a voice for innermost thoughts. This section is just that; spirit speaking clearly from somewhere deep within the author's mortal vessel.

Al through the book, it is as you are peering through the windows of the soul. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I do recommend you read it too. Even if you are not really into poetry, you can find one or two poems that will speak to you.

For more info 
@niladri_m

Thank you y'all,
@budkelly3

No comments:

Post a Comment