Tsalagi hellbilly

Tsalagi hellbilly

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Characters Like You

Most folks search for things that relate to them. As a child, I could compare myself to Clint Asper [Burt Reynolds] on Gunsmoke the most. A "half-breed" that had difficulty finding a place to accept him. My daddy and sister both looked Native American. I am so jealous. I, on the other hand, took more after the Scott-Irish/German side. Most of my kin have forsaken our Hillbilly roots. However, I honor both, thus the nickname Tsalagi Hellbilly. [Hellbilly - hell-raising hillbilly.]
Native American characters have appeared in several comic books. Not so much with hillbillies. Unless you want to include the stereotypes of Snuffy Smith, Al Capp, and Mammy Yokum. However, Eric Powell's "Hillbilly" is an interesting take. 
Hollywood has not been flattering to either Native Americans or Hillbillies. The Westerns depicted Native Americans mostly as dumb savages. One of the worst and most offensive depictions of hill folk was The Beverly Hillbillies. 
 Finding a character I can identify with has been a challenge. So I created my own. See below.

 The Hulk Gang [Marvel Comics] still depicts Hillbillies as violent inbred people. According to those like John Fox, who called us lazy [slothful] and prone to violence people. None that I know are lazy. Sure, we can be prone to violence. We have had to fight every damn day of our life. A good fistfight is more fun than trying to talk things out. 
One of the most infuriating depictions is hill folk is dumb. To me, this is unmerited obloquy. I sure don't think of myself as stupid. I jokingly call myself a dumb hick. I am secure in my intelligence.

I yearn for a faithful depiction of Native Americans and Hillbillies. I don't have a favorite hillbilly character. If there any creators reading this, I humbly ask that you consider adding a faithful rendering of us hillbillies.
My favorite Native American characters:
  1. Turok [Valiant Comics]
  2. Red Wolf [Marvel]
  3. American Eagle [Marvel]
  4. Dani Moonstar [Marvel]
  5. Ripclaw [Image]
  6. Sarah Rainmaker [DC/Wildstorm]
  7. Scout [Eclipse]
  8. Johnny Fox [Champion]
  9.  Thunderbird/Warpath [Marvel]
  10. Silver Fox [Marvel]




No comments:

Post a Comment