Tsalagi hellbilly

Tsalagi hellbilly

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Oh, the horror!

No mystery here - I fucking love horror! As a child, my family and I lived in what some call a haunted house. One night I woke up with a transparent woman standing over me. She reached down and pinned my shoulders to the bed. I tried to scream but I couldn't. I kicked the mattress over and over again. Finally, she left, and I ran to my parents' room. I told them what happened, hoping I would sleep there. But no, I was told, Shut up Bud, and go back to bed. I slept the rest of the night under my blankets.
That experience gave me a taste of fear, and I ended up loving it. I read every Pre-Code horror comic I could find and watching every horror movie I could. That forced exposure led me to love all things horror. 
Some tell me I am haunted. Ghosts are attracted to me, or so I am told. {At least something finds me attractive}
Sadly, I have become desensitized to horror. I love them, but I don't get scared anymore. I miss that feeling. Fear, some say, has a torment but I found it exciting. As I said before, horror hides in our imagination. If only could let my imagination run free, would that unlock the fear? Would I once again feel the cold chills, the racing heartbeat, and the aspirated breath? 
I am not Dare Devil, the so-called Man Without Fear. Neither of us is incapable of being scared; it is just hard to do. I know, what is a backwoods Hellbilly doing comparing himself to Dare Devil? Well hell, if I could fly and had superhuman strength, I would compare myself to Superman. The "Man Without Fear" is where the similarities end. 
While horror movies no longer scare, they do thrill. The sleeping bag scene with Jason Voorhees still excites. Victor Crowley ripping the top off an old woman's head is thrills. But I am looking for the chills. I am looking for the creeping flesh and spine-tingling fright that had as a child.
You may be thinking, Man, this is one sick man. Well, I take that as a compliment. As a fan of Twisted Sister, I am an SMF [Sick Mother Fucker]. There is nothing wrong with seeking out places to experience fright. Haunted Attractions exist for a reason and so do horror movies. People enjoy being scared. That is an enjoyment I miss. 
My top 25 list of favorite monsters/horror villains:
  1. Godzilla
  2. Victor Crowley
  3. Frankenstein's Monster
  4. Dracula/Nosferatu [tie]
  5.  Pinhead
  6. Michael Meyers
  7. Leatherface
  8. Jason Voorhees
  9. Freddy Krueger
  10. The puppets in Puppet Master
  11. King Kong
  12. Xenomorphs
  13. Pumpkin Head
  14. The Hillbillies in the Wrong Turn movies.
  15. The Creeper
  16. Pennywise
  17. Wolf Man or Woman
  18. The Dentist [Dr. Alan Feinstone]
  19. Gorgo
  20. Billy [Silent Night Deadly Night]
  21. The Blob [1958]
  22. Chromeskull
  23. Candyman
  24. Chucky
  25. Ghost Face
I would debate that those like Frankenstein's Monster and Gorgo are not villains, but victims. But for the sake of making my favorites, I put them in. 
Other notables include Kujo, the Gill-Man, Jigsaw, and the Tall Man.


Image result for victor crowleyWhat are some of your favorite horror villains? Tell me below or Tweet me @budkelly3  I guess if anything...

Image result for scare me


No comments:

Post a Comment